Terrorism Attack in New Zealand

A terrorist attack rocked New Zealand earlier on in the day with 4 gun people attacking mosques in Christchurch killing and injuring many people. This has been defined as a terrorist attack on the Muslim community.

Many parts of Christchurch, are on lock down and armed police have been deployed after reports of shots fired at two mosques this Friday afternoon.

New Zealand Commissioner Mike Bush says “there are multiple fatalities” at two mosques in Christchurch and Canterbury Area.

It is believed that all 4 perpetrators are under custody and there are “multiple fatalities” caused by an “active shooter,” describing it a serious and grave situation. Bush adds that the police are “unsure if other locations outside of that area are under threat.”

Police have so far confirmed that over 47 people are dead and that many are in intensive care unit.

A survivor contacts his family and friends after the mass shooting. (Image soure: MPR News)

The prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, called it a terrorist attack and said it was “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”. It is the worst mass shooting in the country’s history. She condemned the ideology behind the attack, saying: “You may have chosen us but we utterly reject and condemn you.”

Four suspects – three men and a woman – were taken into custody and multiple explosive devices found attached to cars in the city. One person was later released. Australian prime minister Scott Morrison said one of the suspects in the “right wing extremist attack” was an Australian-born citizen.

The Police say that they captured 4 suspects however, one has been let free. (Image source: BBC)

Police say none of the suspects were on their terror watch lists. They remain vigilant but are not looking for anyone else in connection with the attacks. New Zealand’s threat level has been raised from low to high.

Police commissioner Mike Bush urged everyone to avoid all mosques across the country. He told residents in Christchurch: “Close your doors until you hear from us again.”

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends.

Author: Moses Echodu

Moses is a freelance writer for Newslibre and Programs Associate at the Uganda Child Cancer Foundation. He loves writing about sports, politics and news around the globe and Inspiring new young people!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *