Lionel Messi in his 18th year of football at the highest level and has had his name thrown into the Greatest of all time discussion celebrates his 35th birthday today. Being one the best will always call for divided discussions of whether he is great or not.
However, when he retires, people will look back on his career in the same way that millions have done with Diego Maradona and Pele that is, he was one of the best ever to grace the pitch.
We don’t know whether he’s now reached the peak of his powers or he’s set to get even better, but everyone should try and make the pilgrimage to the Camp Nou or any other stadium he is playing to watch him play before the curtain rolls down on his illustrious career.
The Argentine is so supremely talented that all the hatred for him is brought about in some way by a form of jealousy. Everyone wishes he played for their side or represented their country, and there is nothing wrong with feeling envious that Barcelona and Argentina have that pleasure.
But while he continues to set such high standards, break all the records and win as many accolade as possible, there will be those that dislike him for these very reasons.
What has Leo Messi Achieved over his illustrious career?
Arguably one of the greatest football players of all time, Lionel Messi has stood up the shoulders of those who are taller than him in terms of success that he has enjoyed over the course of his career.
As the Argentine celebrates his 35th birthday, we will take a look at some of the things that he has achieved in the game of football;
- The forward has been able to win 10 League titles of the Spanish La Liga. The top league in Spain. His first title came in 2004-5 season when he was just starting to break on to the football scene that he would eventually rule for the next 18 years.
- The little magician as he is commonly has also won 7 Copa Del Reys a tournament that is considered as one of the oldest in the country. He won his first title in 2008/09 season.
- He has also won 7 Supercopa de Espana.
- Messi is one of the most decorated UEFA Champions League winners in the history of the tournament having won it 4 times and 3 UEFA Super Cups.
- He has won 3 FIFA Club World Cup tournaments.
- He won the FIFA under 20 World Cup in 2005.
- He is also an Olympic Gold Medalist having won it with Argentina in the Summer Olympics of 2008.
- He won the Copa America 2020 as his first major international trophy last year with Argentina.
- He also added the Finalissima 2022 to his international trophies accolades.
- Messi won his first French Ligue 1 title with PSG this year.
Messi’s Individual Accolades.
Messi has won so many individual awards in his 18 years playing the game of football that it will need a long paper to write it all. But please find the full list here if you would like to read about them. But here are some awards that stand out;
- Messi is the player who has won the most Ballon dÓr trophies having won it 7 times. Two more than his rival Cristiano Ronaldo.
- He won the 2014 FIFA World Cup Golden Ball award for his tremendous efforts during the world cup organised in Brazil.
- He has won the UEFA European Golden shoe 6 times.
- The magician has won the Spanish la Liga Best player award 6 times. Best Spanish La Liga forward award a record 7 times and the Pichichi Trophy a record 8 times.
- Leo has also won the Marca Trofeo Alfredo Di Stefano (Best footballer ) of La Liga a record 8 times more than any other player.
- Messi won the Copa America 2020 Golden Ball.
Messi’s tally of 59 league goals in 2012 is the most any La Liga player has recorded in a calendar year. – He holds the record for the most home La Liga goals scored in a 38-game season with 35 in 2011–12 season.
Happy birthday Leo
Also, read: Uganda’s Star Sprinter Shida Leni Puts On An Amazing Performance In Greece
Author: Katende Basajjabaka
Katende writes about sports and occasionally technology.