Last week, WhatsApp rolled out a new feature called animated stickers that is accessible to all its Android and iOS users. While rolling out this feature, the company had included just one sticker pack called Playful Piyomaru on its WhatsApp Store. As it turns out, the messaging app is now planning on rolling out more animated stickers for all the users.
According to WABetaInfo, WhatsApp is planning to add four more sticker packs to its store. The list includes Chummy Chum Chums, Rico’s Sweet Life, Bright Days, and Moody Foodies. These sticker packs will be available on both Android and iOS-based apps.
Users of the messaging app will be able to download the stickers on the WhatsApp store. For the users who are unable to download the stickers, they will be able to download them in the coming days as the company continues to make them available to all users.
The parent company, Facebook is planning to also bring integration between Facebook Messenger and the popular WhatsApp platform. Last year, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced that he would bring interoperability among the apps in the company’s ambit.
We saw one manifestation of this idea in the form of Messenger Rooms. The other is expected to be WhatsApp’s integration into Messenger.
Facebook is said to be creating some tables in a ‘local database in order to manage messages and services with other WhatsApp users.’ This would enable the company to understand details such as if a WhatsApp contact is blocked, sounds of push notifications, members of a specific group, and profile pictures of the contact among other things.
Contents of chat, however, would remain end-to-end encrypted and hence hidden from the company. This would allow users of two different apps, in this case, Messenger and WhatsApp to communicate with each other without leaving their respective platforms.
WhatsApp adding more animated stickers to the chatting app
That said, the feature is in the early stages of development at the moment and so it is difficult to say how the feature would work at this time.
In order to access the new WhatsApp animated sticker packs, you have to make sure of the following;
- Your WhatsApp must be updated to version 18.104.22.168 (Android beta) and 22.214.171.124 (iOS beta) versions or newer updates, in order to view and download Animated Stickers. WhatsApp Business is included.
- Previous updates might get the feature as well especially for those using the beta versions of the app such as the 2.20.70 iOS update from the App Store.
- If you have already updated to the most recent version available and you don’t see the feature, please wait for the next rollout.
With the new animated sticker pack update, users will be able to do a lot of things such as;
- The possibility to view animated stickers. When you’re able to view animated stickers, you can save and send all received animated stickers.
- The possibility to import animated stickers from third parties. Third parties can offer their own animated stickers packs. A lot of animated stickers creators were working in these months to provide animated stickers to be imported into WhatsApp.
- The possibility to download default animated sticker packs from the WhatsApp Store, currently implemented in the app.
We can’t wait to see how this new feature plays out and whether it will be as good as the stickers other chatting apps like Telegram have already on their platforms.
Author: Moses Echodu
Moses is an avid Sports and Tech enthusiast. He loves to keep up to date with all the latest information and research on some of the most compelling stories.