The new 2019/2020 Italian Serie A season is upon us and a lot of records in the Italian top-flight are at stake, could be broken this very season.
Here are 8 intriguing records in Italian football that are liable to breakage this season;
1. Gianluigi “Gigi” Buffon could break all-time Serie A appearance record. He’s just 7 appearances behind the legendary Paolo Maldini.
The highest all-time appearances in the Italian Serie A are held by;
Paolo Maldini- 647 appearances
Gianluigi Buffon- 640 appearances
Francesco Totti- 619 appearances
Javier Zanetti-615 appearances
2. Buffon is back in Italy, having spent the last one year with the Parisian club, PSG but the 41-year-old shot-stopper holds the record for the longest run without conceding a goal having gone 974 minutes between January and March 2016 without conceding
3. Antonio Conte is back to a managerial role in Italy at Inter Milan having had his last job at Chelsea, before which he did miracles at Juventus but he holds a special record in the Serie A.
Antonio Conte’s 2013/2014 Juventus team hold the record for the most points in the top flight (102 points) and the most wins (33) in a season.
4. Roberto Mancini’s Inter Milan have the longest winning run, having won 17 games between October 2006 and February 2007.
The Nerazzuri have spent heavily on Romelu Lukaku, could they outmatch their record this season?
5. Dries Mertens could become the outright top scorer in Serie A history for Napoli if he can score 19 goals this season.
The all-time top scorers for the Naples based side are;
Antonio Vojak-102 goals
Marek Hamsik- 100 goals
Diego Maradona- 84 goals
Edinson Cavani- 78 goals
6. Gianluigi Donarumma could be the youngest player to play 150 games in Serie A.
The young goalkeeper has 142 appearances under his belt already, at the age of 20
7. Gonzalo Higuain may not be loved by the Napoli fans because of the infamous move from Napoli to Juve but he did break a 66-year-old record in his last year at Napoli.
Higuain holds the record for the most goals in a Serie A season.
This record could be at risk, because of the best goal scorers of all time, Cristiano Ronaldo, is in Italy and had 21 goals in his 1st year with Juventus
8. Only one promoted team has survived relegation in the Serie A in each of the last 2 seasons.
SPAL survived relegation in 2017/2018
A Gervinho inspired Parma survived relegation last season.
Brescia is a newly promoted team in the Serie A, and they’ve signed a boyhood fan, Mario Balotelli. Could they be on the safer side of this record?
Also, read Real Madrid on the Verge of Signing Neymar
Author: Derrick Ashimwe
Derrick is a sports pundit, a devoted Chelsea fan and writes for Newslibre. He is also a presenter at 91.2 Crooze FM covering various sports segments.