Aging is the normal reduction of cell functionality with the passage of time. The gradual loss of cell functionality makes the body lose most of its prior properties. For example, the skin losses elasticity, wrinkles develop, and even hair starts to fall out.
Fortunately, there are some treatment strategies which have been invested and can be applied by dermatologists to reduce the severity of the effects of aging.
We shall look at the major ant-aging treatments and the way they are used to counter the aging effects. These treatments can be several, but we shall only outline the most commonly used.
Anti aging treatments available in the market:
The anti aging treatments work on different principles. Given below is an explanation of the major ones in the market:
1. Lasers: There are different types of anti aging lasers, and the choice of which one to use depends mostly on the extent of aging on the skin. Some lasers use the process of selective thermolysis to improve the texture and tone of the skin.
Lasers fight the aging process by reactivating the production of collagen which in turn gives the skin its initial elastic capabilities. Sun exposure should be avoided during the treatment period and even after the treatment period is over. Use of a sunscreen is encouraged. Some of the anti-aging lasers in the market are fractional CO2 and excimer lasers.
2. Dermal fillers: They are liquid substances that are injected underneath the skin with the intention of introducing hormones and collagen cells in the body. They are made from different compounds with the main ones being hyaluronic acid, collagen, and polylactic acids.
They are effective for treating aging conditions that are not yet extreme, but they are beyond the use of creams and serums. Basically, they are effective in the age group of 30 to 50 years. The main challenge of dermal fillers is the allergic reactions the patient might experience. A patch test is always recommended.
3. Dermabrasion and microdermabrasion: This is a skin resurfacing procedure that gets rid of the top layer skin by use of a rotating device. It promotes the growth of a newer looking skin. It also eliminates the lines and wrinkles on the face.
On the other hand, microdermabrasion uses tiny crystals sprayed on the skin under pressure to get rid of the top skin. The process is friendlier compared to dermabrasion. Both procedures are effective for getting rid of fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Chemical peels: These are anti aging treatments that use a chemical solution to peel the outer aged skin and promote the growth of newer and softer skin. The peels can either be superficial, medium, or deep chemical peels.
Just as their names, the three types of chemical peels work on the outer, middle, and the deep layers of the skin. They use different compounds like alpha-hydroxyl acid, glycolic, and phenol acid.
5. Facelift: In some instances, the aging effects are deeply entrenched in the skin, and thus almost all the options mentioned above cannot effectively eliminate them. In such cases, one of the remaining options is the use of surgery to get rid of the wrinkles and fold on the skin.
During a facelift, the soft tissues, fats, and excess skin are removed to restore the tightness in the skin. In most cases, facelift works best when used together with other skin resurfacing procedures. The major facelift operations are neck lift, eyelid surgery, cheek lift, neck lift, and the deep plane facelift.
Which anti aging treatment works best for you?
All the above mentioned anti-aging treatment methods are effective, but they might not work for everyone. There are those which are optimized for extreme aged skin, and others are optimized for the mild aged skin.
It’s recommended to get all these treatments in a clinic and once there you will get the relevant advice on which method will work best for you depending on the tests that will be done.
Also read: 8 Debunked Myths About Teeth Whitening
Author: Amelia Grant
Amelia Grant is a journalist and blogger that believes information is a great force that is able to change people’s lives for the better. She has a strong passion for sharing useful and important things about health self-care, wellness and other advice that may be helpful for people. She is an enthusiast of a healthy lifestyle. You can check out her website for daily updates at Amelia’s Blog.