Telegram has been taking big leaps with almost every single update this year with awesome features being added to the app making it one of the most agile chatting apps to date.
The recent new 5.8 update brings a bundle of life to Telegram with the addition of cool features like the ability to add anyone to your Telegram contacts – even if you don’t have their number and Groups Nearby. In their previous update, they focused more on security improving on privacy settings and adding a way for users to control who can see their phone numbers.
Users were beyond astonished when Telegram sent out a press release listing what the 5.8 update delivers with some referring to the app as a ‘trend setter’ compared to others on the market.
What the Telegram 5.8 Update Offers
Let’s look at the major 5.8 Telegram updates that really stood out and caught the user’s eyes this time around;
1. Add People Nearby
This means that If you’re looking to exchange contact info with people standing next to you, try the new Add People Nearby section in Contacts. You will see other users within 100 meters who are also viewing this section at the same time.
Simply open Contacts > Add People Nearby to quickly exchange contact info with Telegram users who are standing next to you (and also have this section open).
2. Groups Nearby/Location Based Chats
The People Nearby section also shows Groups Nearby – public chats related to places around you. The new update allows anyone to host location-based group chats in their city which is quite impressive when you think about it. This will enable users to interact with new people anywhere.
This update opens up a new world of location-based group chats for anything from conferences, to festivals, to stadiums, to campuses, to chatting with people hanging out in the same cafe.
3. Ability to Transfer Group Ownership
Well, look at that. While other apps are still having some problems when it comes to dealing with group ownership rights, Telegram has made it even more easier through their new feature of transferring group ownership to other users.
According to the Telegram blog, if a user isn’t interested in hosting their group anymore, they can pass the burden on to another administrator. Telegram apps now support transferring ownership rights from any groups and channels to other users. Grant full admin rights to your Chosen One to see the Transfer Ownership button.
Apart from the above the three updates, there are also others which include;
- Add to Contacts button at the top: This allows you to quickly add anyone who messages you to your Telegram contacts, even if you don’t know their phone number yet.
- Enhanced Notification Exceptions: Notification Exceptions just got more powerful. You can now toggle message previews for specific chats. If you have many exceptions, use Search to find the right chat — or ‘Delete All’ to get back to square one instantly.
- Siri Shortcuts: Owners of iOS devices can now use Siri shortcuts to open chats with people. No hands just got no-handsomer.
- Theme Picker and Icon style: Telegram also revamped the Appearance settings on iOS so that it’s easier to see what the different themes will look like even before you apply them.
For those that haven’t joined the Telegram banner yet, this is the time for you to upgrade. You can download the app from Google Play or App Store.
Also read: Apple To Reveal Gaming Platform Soon
Author: Allan Bangirana
Allan Bangirana has a taste for all kinds of topics and usually writes about tech, entertainment, sports and community projects that make a difference in society.