Is Your Security Application Really Secure?
Security is an essential part of today’s world and how the internet has influenced society in general.
“First rule of internet security is that there is no internet security.” – Anonymous
This simple line has the ability to explain the complete scenario of present day cases of Internet based information security.
Today we rely on many applications to secure our data so that it’s not visible in the gallery or various media players.
Have you ever thought about a different scenario where these guardians of our private files become the intruder to our security.
Is Your Security App Really Secure?
Yes, you might find this shocking to hear, as per a recent survey many security applications are not really secure.
These companies themselves were or have been responsible for stealing user data and yet they promised a secure app.
Now comes another very important question to invade our mind which is,
“if I cannot trust the apps then is there some way by which the unauthorized access can be prevented from accessing my files and media.”
There is an effective file explorer tweak that can prevent access to your files and we will show you how.
One will need to create a file called “.nomedia” which will prevent the system explorer from listing your files in any media gallery.
A few things one should know while dealing with nomedia files:
- The name of the file should be exactly the same i.e. “.nomedia” (Do not forget to add the “.” Symbol before the nomedia word.
- It prevents media files from being detected by any media player or gallery but can be viewed in the file explorer.
- It is effective only on the files in the same folder
- In case you need to hide the content of multiple folders, place a copy of this file in each folder.
- It makes files in the folder invisible to the media applications, as the result you cannot choose individual files as an exception to it.
So, by making this file, you can prevent the access to a great level without using any third-party application.
Author: Osho Parth
Osho Parth is a freelance writer for Newslibre who is passionate about tech, Internet of Things, a software developer & designer with experience in computer science. He enjoys writing about the web and its influence on society.